Member of Gujarat Legislative Assembly (MLA) Idar
Born: 26th September 1952, Govindpura (Veda), Taluka Kalol, Dist. Gandhinagar.
Education: B.A., LL.B.
Spouse and Children: Smt. Kusumbahen, two sons, two daughters
Occupation: Retired bank employee and social worker.
- Member, Ninth Gujarat Legislative Assembly, 1995-97,
- Member, Tenth Gujarat Legislative Assembly, 1998-2002,
- Member, Eleventh Gujarat Legislative Assembly, 2002-07,
- Member, Twelfth Gujarat Legislative Assembly, 2007-12.
- Chairman, Committee on Welfare of Scheduled Castes, Gujarat Legislative Assembly, 2002-07.
- Former Vice Chairman, Law Reforms Committee of Indian Labour Conference of the Central Govt.
- Was In-Charge Minister of Dahod, Kutch, Surendranagar, Sabarkantha, Mehsana, Kheda, Patan Districts and is In-Charge Minister of Anand and Kheda District since February 2013.
- Deputy Minister for Energy, Petrochemicals and Cooperation in the Govt. of Gujarat, 1995-96.
- Minister of State for Cooperation (Independent Charges), Administrative Reforms, 1998-2001.
- Minister, Social Justice and Empowerment (Including Welfare of Schedule Castes and Welfare of Socially and Economically Backward Classes) and Labour and Employment from 22nd December 2002 to 31st July 2005,
- Minister, Social Justice and Empowerment, Welfare of Scheduled Castes and Socially and Economically Backward Classes from 1st August 2005 to 24th December 2007,
- Minister, Education (Primary, Secondary, Adult), Higher and Technical Education from 4th January 2008 to 25th December 2012,
- Minister, Social Justice and Empowerment (including Welfare of Schedule Castes and Socially And Economically Backward Classes), Sports, Youth, Cultural Activities, since 26th December 2012.
- Former Member, All India Committee of Ministers’ for Cooperation.
- President, the S.C. / S.T. Bank Employees’ Association and its Secretary for twelve years.
- Joint Secretary, the Bank of Baroda Employees’ Union.
- Honorary Secretary, Shri Sahayak Credit and Supply Coop.
- Society for five years. Vice President, Shri Sahayak Credit and Coop.
- Society. One of the founders of Ekata Credit and Supply Coop. Society Ltd.
- General Secretary, Bharatiya Kalyan Sangh. Secretary, Shri Bassobyasi Vankar Samaj.
- Secretary, Bharatiya Janata Party, Ahmedabad City Unit, 1991-95.
- Member of Executive Committee, National Executive Committee, All India Bank of Baroda Employees’ Federation, Mumbai,
- Member of Executive Committee, The Bank of Baroda Staff Coop. Credit Society for three years,
- Member of Executive Committee, Shri Sahayak Credit and Supply Coop. Society Ltd, for seven years,
- Member of Executive Committee, Sarvodaya Youth Welfare Society.
- President, Gujarat Pradesh Schedule Caste Front and Bharatiya Janata Party, Executive Committee.
- Member of the Pradesh Executive Committee, Bharatiya Janata Party since 1992.
- As a student leader, he was active in various youth activities during his college days.
- Participated actively in the Navnirman Movement.
- City In-Charge of Swadeshi Jagran Manch, 1993 and Sangathan Parva in 1994.
- Active as a worker of Jan Sangh and also a dalit worker since 1973.
Hobby: Reading of novels and poetry, sports and traveling
Travels Abroad: America, United Kingdom, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, Dubai.
Permanent Address: Plot. No. 817, Opp. Church, Sector – 8, Gandhinagar.
Present Address: Bungalow No. 6, Ministers’ Enclave, Sector-20, Gandhinagar – 382020.
Tel. Nos.: 23221267 (R), 23232470 (R).