Member of Gujarat Legislative Assembly (MLA) Ghatlodia
Born: 21st November 1941, Kharod, Taluka Vijapur, Dist. Mehsana.
Education: M.Sc., M.Ed. (Gold Medalist).
Spouse and Children: Dr. Mafatbhai Patel , one son, one daughter.
Occupation: Social service, retired Principal (Mohinaba High School, Ahmedabad).
- Member, Rajya Sabha, 1994-98.
- Member, Tenth Gujarat Legislative Assembly, 1998-2002.
- Member, Eleventh Gujarat Legislative Assembly, 2002-07.
- Member, Twelfth Gujarat Legislative Assembly, 2007-12.
- Member, Thirteenth Gujarat Legislative Assembly since December 2012.
- Minister of State for Education (Except Adult Education) (Independent Charge), Woman and Child Welfare (Independent Charge) in the Government of Gujarat, 1998-99.
- Minister for Education (Primary, Secondary, Adult), Woman and Child Welfare, 1999-2002.
- Education (Primary, Secondary and Adult), Higher and Technical Education, Woman and Child Welfare, Sports, Youth and Cultural Activities from 22nd December 2002 to 24th December 2007.
- Revenue, Disaster Management, Roads and Buildings, Capital Project, Woman and Child Welfare from 4th January 2008 to 25thDecember 2012.
- Revenue, Drought Relief, Land Reforms, Rehabilitation, Reconstruction, Roads and Buildings, Capital Project, Urban Development, Urban Housing from 26th December 2012 to 21st May 2014.
- She has been Leader of the House in the Gujarat Legislative Assembly and Chief Minister of the Gujarat State since 22nd May 2014 and holds the portfolios of General Administration, Administrative Reforms and Training Division, Industries, Home, Climate Change, Ports, Information and Broadcasting, Narmada, Kalpsar, Revenue, Disaster Management, Urban Development, Urban Housing and all Policies and Subjects / Matters not allotted to other Ministers.
- Pradesh Women Front, Bharatiya Janata Party, 1988-90 and 1992-96,
- Pradesh Women Front, Sahiyar Women Credit Society, Gramshree Trust, Ahmedabad.
- Vice President, Pradesh Bharatiya Janata Party, 1990-92.
- Member, National Executive Committee for eight years.
- Member, National Executive Committee, Women Front.
- During her school days she had received ‘Virbala’ Award in the School Sports Festival of Mehsana District.
- In 1988 she was awarded with the ‘Best Teacher’s Award’ of Gujarat State and in 1990 she was honoured with the ‘Best Teacher’s Award’ at National level.
- For saving two drowning girls of Mohinaba Kanya Vidyalaya from the river Narmada, she was awarded ‘Gallantry Award’ of Gujarat Government.
- She was awarded with ‘Chaarumati Yoddha Award’ by ‘Jyotisangh’, Ahmedabad
- The ‘Sardar Patel Award’ by the Patel ‘Jagruti Mandal’, Mumbai in the year 1999.
- The ‘Vidyagaurav Puraskar’ by ‘Shri Tapodhan Brahman Vikas Mandal’ in the year 2000 and in 2005 by the Patel community.
- She was awarded with the ‘Patidar Shiromani Award’.
- She was also honored by the Ambubhai Purani Vyayam Vidyalay, Rajpipala.
Literary Activity: Occasionally writes articles in the magazines such as ‘Dharati’, ‘Sadhana’ and ‘Sakhi’.
Hobby: Reading, writing, travelling, public-relation.
Travels Abroad: As the Delegate of Government of India, she visited Beijing (China) to attend the 4th World Women’s Conference. In 1996 she visited Bulgaria with the Indian Parliamentary Delegation and also undertaken educational study tour of France, Germany, England, Netherlands, America, Canada, Mexico etc. In 2002 as the Delegate of Gujarat Branch of the Commonwealth Parliamentary Association to the 48th C.P. Conference, she visited Namibia and also visited South Africa as a part of her study tour. In September 2009 she represented Gujarat in the ‘Village India’ Programme held in London.
‘Dharma’, Near Shaan Bungalows,
Shilaj, Taluka Daskroi, Dist. Ahmedabad.
Present Address: Bungalow No.26 , Ministers’ Enclave,Sector – 20, Gandhinagar.
Tel.Nos.: (079) 23250073, 23250074, 23232611(O)
(079) 23259531, 23232601(R)